They are bizarre, botanical entities, covered in spines. Despite having no visible sensory organs, they will home in on any nearby heroes, and attack with a barrage of thorns.
Originally a source of food for many of Scaldron's predators, thorn tripeds flourished under Darkspore mutation. Their thoraces sprouted deadly spikes which serve as offensive armor. Any attempts to fight tripeds physically guarantees that attackers will suffer at least as much as their targets.
StrategyEditArakna's Necrotic Bolt), so using Andromeda can help quite a bit, by knocking them back.
Meditron Can use his Syndrome Shift to steal the Spiky Buff and then use a Charged Strike on one without the attack backfiring. Stealing the Spiky Buff from the Tripeds will prevent allies with Melee attacks from suffering Spiky's Damage.
- Along with Menace Weeds, Swarming Herbipods, Botanical Tunnelers, and Protoplasms, Thorn Tripeds are the most plant-like of all Darkspore, even more so than some of the others. They have no visible mouth, and their bodies are planed out by radial symmetry (though the growth of thorns seems to be random).
- They have Revenant's feet.
- On Darkspore.com, they are called Piercing Tripeds.
- Their appearances don't change much between difficulties like Invasion, they only change color.
- Piercing Tripeds sometimes appear in Apocalypse levels instead of Spiked Tripeds, their Apocalypse variant. Spiked Tripeds are blue, ehile Piercing Tripeds are bright green. This may or may not be a bug.