Their "lock" was a giant web that it covered the player with. It would first slow down the hero before locking them, once the web was fully implanted, the Strider itself repeatedly tore at the hero's flesh with its nail-like arms.
The terrifying haunt striders employ invisibility to stalk their prey. Before reaching point-blank range, striders snare their victims in place, and then become visible immediately before physically attacking and transfusing their target's life-force into their allies. The last sight a strider's victim sees before death is a phosphorescent eruption known historically as "the violent spectre of death."
The hardest thing about Haunt Striders (like all other Darkspore Operatives) was that when they spawned, the players were simply not prepared. Once they spawned, however, there would be a couple seconds before they locked a player down to get away. It was hard to avoid getting locked because the web slowed you down.
Some good heroes to use were Sage, Meditron, Vex, Maldri, and Zrin. Sage could enrage the trapped hero, put a Tree Of Life near, while continuously unleashing Strangling Briars and his Basic Attack. Meditron would be able to heal the trapped player with Reconstruct, Vex could stop it with Chrono-Blink, as well as Slow it with his Temporal Strike, Maldri could try to interrupt if he got locked down with Probablility Assault, and Zrin could deal heavy damage while the Strider was distracted.
Other options were to take them out with debuffs or stun the Strider. Good choices for such operations would be Zrin, Krel, Viper, Goliath and surprisingly Wraith and Revenant. The last two, however, must be used with extreme caution, as they are Necrogenetic, which means if they were get locked down, they lost health twice as fast.
- Haunt Striders were almost made completely out of Spore parts except for their eyes.
- To be more exact, there were other Darkspore made entirely out of Spore parts as Pathogenic Vegavores for example.
- Elite Haunt Striders had been reported to spawn onto the battlefield. Whether this was fixed or not, remains unknown.
- Like all Darkspore Operatives they spawned on Scaldron.
- In some cases, the Strider may move the hero if it was still being locked down or is currently locked down. If this happened, use something to slow the Haunt Strider down.
- Spectral Striders had Skar's head, but turned upside-down.